Serving state government to benefit the citizens of Montana.
We deliver forward-looking, cost-effective business solutions to our customers. We enable continuous improvement in all our divisions. Our services make government more efficient and effective, while protecting the interests of Montana citizens. We focus our expertise on providing first-rate service to our customers, while being accountable and transparent.
Goals and Objectives -- 2021 Biennium
Goal: Advance the department's mission, vision, and values by providing excellent, timely, and cost-effective customer service.
- Challenge the status quo by embracing and initiating beneficial changes that result in continuous improvement in service delivery and customer satisfaction.
- Improve communication and collaboration with customers and among department divisions to build and support relationships.
- Provide transparency and information security in program operations.
- Promote a culture of openness, trust, diversity, and equality.
- Support equal access to employment, programs, services, and activities for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Goal: Use progressive human resource strategies and approaches to enhance business performance, while positioning the Department as a great place to work.
- Expand leadership development programs, training, and activities to enhance employee engagement and performance.
- Implement initiatives that encourage workforce diversity, growth in job knowledge and skill, and provide opportunity for advancement.
- Apply effective and consistent goal-setting methodologies, performance management processes, and pay strategies across all divisions.
- Continue to modernize recruitment strategies and processes to ensure the right employees are hired to support Department business initiatives.
- Implement safety strategies and programs to reduce workplace injuries. Ensure safety program follows the Montana Safety Culture Act and other regulatory requirements.
Goal: Provide effective representation for the state of Montana while promoting cooperative labor-management relationships.
- Negotiate the biennial pay package for state employees.
- Negotiate collective bargaining agreements for the state of Montana bargaining units.
- Assist agencies administering collective bargaining agreements.
- Represent state government in administrative hearings and labor arbitrations.
- Provide training to agencies regarding labor law and labor relations.
Goal: Provide and manage secure, shared, state-of-the-art information technology services for state government.
- Implement system governance strategies and continue to adhere to industry best practices.
- Provide and promote transparency in IT security operations.
- Engage with the state CIO to continue optimal, long-term security strategies and system security plans.
- Employ IT in alignment with the state’s strategic IT goals.
- Use and promote enterprise services to increase efficiency and security while lowering costs.
- Leverage existing system capabilities to deliver enhanced functionality to customers.
- Deliver and promote best of class enterprise services.
- Implement scalable technology to meet customer demands.
- Evaluate and enhance or replace legacy systems.
Goal: Provide leadership and support to the enterprise for continuity of government and emergency management programs.
- Direct the enterprise continuity and emergency management program in all three branches of state government by providing expert advice and ongoing support in development of programs and plans for restoration of operations in support of the National Essential Functions of government.
- Administer and provide ongoing support and training for the enterprise planning software and emergency notification system.
- Coordinate incident response and recovery in collaboration with the Department of Military Affairs Disaster and Emergency Services Division, state agencies, local jurisdictions, tribal nations, and private sector partners including developing and maintaining the State Emergency Plan Communications Annex.
Goal: Safeguard our stakeholders' interests by progressively managing internal controls and fortifying our preparedness planning.
- Proactively manage our internal control plan by assessing the control environment, conducting risk assessments, integrating control activities, and monitoring our internal control system.
- Support the continuity of operations by maintaining our Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery Plan and employing reliable system backup and disaster recovery strategies.
Specific goals and objectives of the DOA divisions: